Helpful Answers to Common Questions

Retirement Village Living

A retirement village is a housing development designed specifically to suit the wants and needs of the over 65’s. A village offers a fresh lifestyle to those who want to live independently in their own home whether they are 65 or 90! Residents live in their own villas or apartments and have the freedom and independence that comes from being in their own home. However the major worry of most home maintenance and garden care is taken away, allowing a more relaxed and secure lifestyle.
We find that most of our residents look to move into a retirement village when one or both of them has retired and they are planning their future to ensure they make the most of this time, with its unlimited options! Retirement villages are specifically designed to meet our residents’ accommodation, social and recreational needs. Living in a community of like-minded people with similar interests and hobbies often provides these residents with a new outlook on life.
The Retirement Villages Act of 2003 requires the appointment of a Statutory Supervisor who represents the interests of the residents. In addition your ORA provides for the establishment of a Residents Advisory Committee that comprises resident representatives elected at the annual general meeting. This committee will work with the village management to ensure the community meets the needs of its residents. The Manager’s door is always open to discuss any issues or concerns you may have. As a member of the Retirement Villages Association (RVA) of New Zealand, Anglican Living is committed to standards and principles that are laid down by them. Every three years the RVA conducts a full accreditation of the village to ensure their standards are being met.
The village manager is based on-site during working hours and is in charge of the day-to-day administration of the village. The manager is the primary contact point for residents. If you have any queries, concerns or feedback about the village, the village manager or receptionist should be your first port of call.
Retirement Village legislation regulates the retirement village industry. Areas of interest include: The Retirement Villages Act 2003, Residents Code of Rights and the Code of Practice 2008. Compliance with legislation is a prerequisite for RVA accreditation.

Financial Considerations

There is a service charge for the independent living units. This covers rates, maintenance, emergency nursing assistance, grounds maintenance, window cleaning and administration. Charges are reviewed each year and normally increase by the amount of inflation.

The service charge for the studio units also includes electricity, laundry cleaning and all meals.

All cottages and apartments are sold under an Occupation Right Agreement (ORA). This is how most retirement village units are now sold throughout New Zealand and these are governed by the Retirement Villages Act 2003. The ORA is the agreement between the resident and the village setting out the terms of your right to occupancy in a unit in your chosen village. While residents occupy their cottage or apartment under the ORA, the title to the land and buildings remains with Anglican Living.
There are three costs involved in a retirement village.
These are: Entry price of the ORA – this is the purchase price of your unit and is refundable to you on exit from the village (less the Village Contribution referred to below). Anglican Living will refund these monies within 1 week of a new tenant taking residence or 6 months after you vacated the unit.
Village Contribution – This is the deduction made at the end of your tenure from your Entry Price and includes a contribution towards village amenities and the refurbishment/sales costs of the unit on exit. This varies for each type of accommodation and can be supplied on request. Weekly Service Charge – this covers the day to day running costs of the village; includes rates, insurance, exterior maintenance of your unit, staff wages, gardening, and a contribution towards community centre costs. This varies for each type of accommodation and can be supplied on request.
Additional services are available on a user pays basis.
The ORA offers you the right to live in your dwelling for your lifetime (health permitting) and to enjoy the services and facilities provided within the village. Your interests as a resident are secured through an encumbrance over the Village land held by the Statutory Supervisor (currently Jerry Ford) for the benefit of all ORA holders.
All Village Managers follow Anglican Living’s dispute resolution policies and procedures and are pro-active in providing guidance and help in resolving matters. Our disputes resolution policies and procedures are in line with the requirements under the Retirement Villages Act 2003 and the Code of Practice 2008.
Anglican Living insures the buildings (including carpets and floor coverings and fixed chattels) and this is paid for out of your service charge contributions. You are responsible for insuring your own contents and personal effects, as well as your private motor vehicle. You will also be responsible for the excess on any insurance claim arising out of any damage done by yourself or your guests to the dwelling or community buildings.
When you permanently leave your villa or apartment your ORA will be terminated. It is then the responsibility of the Village to resell the villa or apartment. The resale value is based on annual valuations and actual similar resales that have occurred in the village. You will receive payment for your villa or apartment 5 days from the occupation of a new resident or within 6 months of your vacating the unit. The sales process is strictly governed through the regulations of the Retirement Act 2003 and the Code of Practice.
No, the ORA is not transferable.
The ORA can only be issued in the names of the residents occupying the dwelling. However the funds used to purchase the Licence can come from a Family Trust. In this case, a separate Deed will be drawn up between the parties involved, to legally identify where the funds came from, and where they are later to be distributed on termination of the agreement, thereby protecting the assets of the Trust.
Anglican Living has a transfer policy in place and the cost of transferring from one unit to another is covered in the ORA.

Residential Life

Exterior maintenance and repairs to the chattels supplied (e.g. fridge, washing machine and dishwasher) are the responsibility of Anglican Living. Any damage caused by the residents own negligence, or misuse of equipment, may be rectified by us. An appropriate deduction will be made to cover costs when the unit is vacated and this will be discussed with the resident at the time of repairs.
This service is included in the fee for rest home and hospital patients. It is available to those living in the studio units for a small additional charge.
A number of community services including short-term residential care are available free of charge to the elderly who are living in their own homes. Your GP can help you to access these within the retirement village. In addition, emergency assistance is available from Anglican Living staff twenty-four hours a day.
Legislation requires all villages to create rules and regulations that encourage harmonious co-existence between residents. These vary from village to village but are always contained in your village documentation, which should be read and understood prior to making any final decisions about purchasing a home in a village. The rules may change from time to time as the needs of village residents evolve.
This is not permitted at any Anglican Living location. This gives all residents the peace of mind and security of knowing that everyone in the village has the same degree of commitment about the lifestyle they have chosen.
Firstly, there is a 24/7 emergency call system available supported by modern monitoring and alarm systems. Each unit has at least one “call button” to ensure help can be rendered promptly. Each village employs a Registered Nurse. Clinics for blood pressure checks and dressing changes etc are planned for the new communal facility. In addition various levels of service are available that residents may choose from and these services are charged for on a user pays basis.
Yes, this is encouraged in our spacious rest home and hospital rooms with insurance being the responsibility of the resident.
Most of our apartments are decorated in neutral colours, but if residents wish to change the colour scheme, this can be done at their own expense. We may require a resident to pay for the unit to be reverted back to its original colour scheme at the end of the period of occupation if the makeover is too individualistic, so it is advised that any redecorating plans are discussed with the manager in the first instance. Any structural alterations must have prior approval.
Residents in the independent living units are welcome to bring any small house-trained pet, although there may be some restrictions on upper level apartment dwellings. Conditions are detailed in our occupation right agreements and disclosure statements. In the studio units and rest homes, approval may be given, depending on the existing cat or dog population. We will be happy to discuss this with you.
For those living independently, you may treat your unit as your own home and have visitors to stay on a temporary basis. We do not provide separate accommodation.
Our villages employ an activities co-ordinator and every effort is made to ensure that activities meet the needs of the individual residents. These include bowls, housie, quizzes and special theme events. A library service is provided and regular outings in the Anglican Living bus are popular with residents.